Before Reading, During Reading, After Reading
Before Reading Ask
- Describe the front cover?
- What do you think this book is about?
- What do you think they are looking at?
During Reading Ask
- Where are the stars?
- Do the red rows and red trees relate to one another?
- What do you think to sew together one nation means?
After Reading Ask
- What are the different features of the flag?
- Do you think this book reflects unity?
- How did you like the story?
- What do you think about when you see the American flag?
Let's Talk About Feelings
- Emotion Stickers
Identify the Feelings:
After the story is finished, discuss different feelings about different things the book compares such as: The colors of the flag to the history of the nation, The similarities and differences of the land, its people, and its past and its future.
On a separate poster list those actions or feelings. Use emotion stickers to identify the feeling(s) on the poster.
Let's Craft Together
Stars and Stripes Craft
- Construction Paper (White and Blue)
- Red Paint
- White Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Paint red lines on the white construction paper about an inch apart.
- Cut a 4 by 4 square out of the blue construction paper and glue it on the left top corner of the white construction paper.
- Paint white stars on the blue construction paper.
Let's Bake Together
American Flag Snack
- Graham Crackers
- White Cake Icing
- Cover the graham cracker with white cake icing.
- Place the blueberries in the top left corner of the graham cracker.
- Place the strawberries on the graham cracker making two rows.